Friday, April 13, 2012

Vacation week

It is Friday of vacation week and I am struggling. we have had a good break, we had Passover with family and then we took an overnight trip to Mystic Seaport. unfortunately we are at the time of family togetherness where I cannot stand to be asked the same question again. I simply can't talk about the traffic wires, I can't pretend to wonder what the black boxes are that are on the traffic wires and why some have one black box and others two.

I can't talk about what's for dinner before we eat breakfast, and again after breakfast and before lunch, and after lunch and then every 15 minutes from 3:00 on. I can't answer the same questions or have the same circular conversations, my ears are tired. I hate that I am out of patience with Matthew because he s doing better than he has done in over a year, so really I should simply enjoy this calm ride and a huge part of me knows that and I am trying hard.

However, as the only adult who can answer him, and given the fact that he is infinitely more insistent than I am patient, it is my goal to practice deep breathing over the next 48 hours before he returns to school. I am planning to up the fun over the next two days and end vacation week on a high, and remind myself that his behaviors are not his fault and his questions are probably more intense for him than they are for me.

Here's to a good final 2 days of spring break!

No comments:

Post a Comment