Sunday, June 23, 2013

I wish I had a picture

David and I had a moment...actually it was a good 10-15 minutes and I was with him and he was with me, and we were connected and it was awesome!


Many of you may not know David, so I will give a quick David intro, it is the only way for you to understand how amazing our moment was.

David is quiet, and reserved.  If you are not really working hard at it, you could likely go 20-30 minutes with David and he might not say much if anything at all.  He would be doing a puzzle, or happily listening to music or looking at a book, and he would be totally happy, but he would likely be quiet.

At the pool, David is happy to sit on the sides and just relax.  He enjoys watching the kids play, he enjoys hanging out with the grown ups, but he is usually pretty quiet, and is content to be there.  Our town pool has an awesome splash island area where there are buckets that dump water on your head if you stand under them.  David, Jacob and his buddies all spent some time at the splash island area with me today, and Jacob, his friend and I were taking turns figuring out where to stand so that the water dumped hard on our heads.  Eventually David moved closer and closer to the buckets, but was always far enough away that he avoided getting splashed.

After some time, Jacob and his friend walked away, and David and I were hanging out there together.  I took a misstep and ended up under the bucket and when the water splashed down on my head David gave one of the best belly laughs I have ever heard!  He pointed with excitement and giggled that the water had landed on my head!  He laughed and encouraged me to stand under the bucket again.  Of course, to get such a reaction from David, i am happy to stand under anything especially a bucket of water on a 92 degree hot, humid day!

For over 10 minutes, the water would splash on me and he would laugh.  He would giggle and point and excitedly tell me about the water landing on my head.  His eyes were on mine, and mine were on him, and in a crowded pool complex, we were alone....together......laughing and having fun!

With 3 boys, as a single mom, these moments are so important.  All I could think was, why isn't someone taking a picture.  David's eyes are twinkling, we are sharing a moment together, a moment I want to remember, because his belly laugh was that amazing and he was that excited to be with me in that moment.  And then I realized, that is the picture!  I will remember that moment at the park, where I was present, and he was present and we were alone, being splashed by water and laughing together!

Apparently, David is having just a super cute day, because I just looked outside, and he is using a toddler, plastic lawnmower and pretending to mow the lawn and every few steps he stops and pulls on an imaginary cord as if to start the mower......so cute, such a loving, little boy.  To see the best in David, you sometimes have to remember to stop the world and just watch....I am so glad that today I have allowed the world to stop two times to capture these moments.

1 comment: