Tuesday, February 2, 2010

one of those good days

So as I start to write this, I am already screaming STOP, STOP DO NOT PUT THIS ON PAPTER....but I can't help myself, so I am going to quietly tell you, but please don't tell anyone else.....that we have had only good days since Saturday. Saturday was pretty rocky, but if I am being honest, it was really my fault. The kids were each pretty good- I just got up on the wrong side of the bed, and then wasn't motivated to do much. So, I had 3 high energy boys and me who didnt want to do much locked in the house until 4:45- creates a pretty fabulous recipe for disaster!

But back to the good news- I have felt like gloating for the past 3 days- there is something very special about hanging out on the couch watching tv with your children, or quietly watching them play that makes this whole parenthood thing really fun.

I have never been a mom of a typical child, but I have been an aunt of typical girls. For years now when they come to visit I have envied the way that they play and entertain each other and just say cute little things. They want to play board games, do art projects, enjoy all that stuff that actually allows the parent to have some fun along with their children.

For my boys that has just never been the way. Until you come to play with my guys, it is really hard to understand, but I am going to try to make sense of it for you. See, M has this thing he does. He calls it "making his wires". Essentially for more than 5 years he has focused on making electric wires with his toy blocks. He puts up 2 blocks, hangs a string in between them and that is the wires. Then he zooms his cars underneath and he can do this for hours.

Maybe it is just me, but this game just no longer holds any appeal. Crash the cars I could play! Going to the grocery store, I could play. Build the wires zoom the cars, build the wires zoom the cars, I CANNOT PLAY! I am bored.

So, after doing this for 5 years, to have had 3 days that my boys and I have simply enjoyed time together has been awesome. I cannot even tell you what show we watched on tv tonight, J and D and I, because that really didnt matter. What mattered is the snuggling we were doing, the way that we all were so much at peace that we almost fell asleep----that deep warm, feeling of love snuggled together!

I know, because it is the rhythm of our world that this peacefulness will not last long....but honestly, if I can have just a few days of those snuggle on the couch moments, my battery gets recharged, I can face more of the crazy that is our regular life......and in reality, all that crazy truly does make me appreciate the happy, snuggle on the couch kind of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment