Friday, September 10, 2010

david update

David's stuttering has continued and on Wednesday I was able to take him to the neurologist.....after rearranging my entire day, having to ask my parents to help with watching Jacob, and basically making a lot of adjustments....guess what the neurologist diagnosed David with......

Wait....hold on....it is a rather impressive diagnosis when you bring a stuttering child in to a neurologist.........

You will truly never, ever believe this, but he diagnosed my child with

A STUTTER!!!

yes folks, you have read that correctly, I called and said my son with seizures is stuttering, the doctor insisted on seeing David and the official diagnosis was that my child is STUTTERING!

The doctor is unsure whether the stutter is a result of a seizure, if it is due to damage from a seizure, or if it is just a new development, and does not feel like more tests are warranted to make this determination. While I am thankful that we do not have to do more tests, my mind is not at all at ease, and I am finding myself worrying constantly about David.

It seems like David's stutter gets worse as the day goes on and he gets tired, and I am sure it is something that will either go away or I will get used to. However, to watch him stop himself from talking is breaking my heart. Everyday there have been 2 or 3 times that he will look at me, want to talk and then just be quiet because the words just won't come out.....for a child who didnt talk until he was over 2 years of age, and who didnt speak in sentences til he was over 3 years of age and then lost almost all langauge at the age of 4, to have him unable to express himself is truly breaking my heart.

In addition, apparently this weird arm flapping and high pitched noise is a tic. He is doing it over the simplest things that excite him- tonight he did it when we bought popsicles. Really, he won't even eat a popsicle, so why did the popsicle excite him enough to make him do this tic? Why do I have to see it? Truly it is breaking my heart.

I just don't know that I can watch my boy struggle to speak and to have his body doing these odd new things......

No comments:

Post a Comment