Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Yummyness at Temple

I have to write down the amazing vision that was the Sukkot Service at Beth Emeth tonight because I never, ever want to forget it.

We were 10 minutes late to services, and my plan was to sneak in the back. David was struggling and it just made sense to have easy access to leave if need be. Well, David was in first, and he held his head high, and marched past every single row, right to the very, very front and plopped himself down opened his prayer book, and began to "read".

Now not 2 seconds later did he whisper to me, "this is a long service" and he was ready to leave, but he stayed for the entire 20 minutes and while I am sure he was disruptive to some, what they don't know is:

1. He "read" the book each and every time a page was announced- he "found" the page and looked at it intently.

2. He was in awe at the guitar....waiting for it to be played

3. When they opened the ark, he oooohed at the Torahs and commented- "a family: a mommy, a daddy and a baby" and as if that wasnt amazing enough, as they shut the door to the ark, he said "they didnt read it"....he knows what is in there,.....he is aware enough to know that a Torah is for reading, he has been paying attention all these years.

4. As we left the sanctuary to go to the sukkah, as every other child ogled over the donuts and juice, David was pulling me towards the sukkah- he wanted to go inside, he gingerly touched the fruits hanging in the sukkah- he looked at every decoration, he was at peace in the sukkah.

it was truly the most spiritual moment I have ever had with David, all the years he has been feeling and learning about being Jewish and I had no idea! david is Jewish, and he knows it.....and now I know it to!

No comments:

Post a Comment